The latest high voltage power supply takes a trip up the hill to be installed. The choke and high voltage transformer had to be removed along with the 40 MFD 12.5 KV filter cap, just to make the supply moveable. As you can see in the left photo, the three phase transformer is on a heavy duty hand truck. that transformer weighs about 480 lbs. I had to get a helper to roll the transformer down the metal ramp and into the shack. If I tried it alone, it would have gotten away from me and do some serious damage! The finished supply is shown on the right, almost ready to go. I had to drill a large hole in the top cover to allow warm air to be removed outdoors through that large metal air hose. The supply is hooked to a 15 amp 3 phase breaker. With the 50 MHz amplifier running at 1500 watts out, the supply stays quite cold.
Our 432 Antenna and the view towards the southwest.
Bruce, WW1M did a fantastic job replacing our old blower boxes. We mount remote blowers outside the building to keep the noise down. After many years they were falling apart. Bruce to the rescue with these beauties. He made two of them. This one does not have the final cover bolted on yet. The finish is four coats of marine spar varnish.
Art, K1BX, Mr. Six Meters. He holds down our lowest band and always does a great job. From the look on his face, I think he just worked Outer Baluchistan on long path..
In 2007, we removed our trusty military diesel generator that had suffered a serious failure during the September VHF Contest. The blower on the 2 cycle diesel engine had failed and self destructed. That caused overheating and then total failure on Sunday of the contest. A subsequent analysis by a Detroit Diesel technician indicated the the engine was trashed with both cylinders scored and the blower was ruined with destroyed bearings and impellors.
After removing the old genset, we had to build a concrete pad for the new 20 KW diesel. Here is a picture of K1CA and K1OR indicating that our new pad meets their expectations. Note the small blue generator in the background. We used that for temporary power while we waited for delivery of the new generator.
Ice melting off the 222 MHz array during its first winter on the hill. WOW! The heavy ice loading caused the H frame to twist and it took considerable effort to return the yagis to the horizon. The good news is that the very long yagis survived the ice loading with no damage whatsoever. The booms are over 28 ft long.
N1DPM's first rover rig used by WW1M in 2007 is pictured on the left. It covers 903 thru 10 GHz with barefooot transverters. We supplied small antennas for Bruce so that aiming would be easier. The signals were a bit on the weak side. so Fred went back to re engineer the rig over the wintertime. It came back looking like it had taken massive doses of steroids.He added solid state amplifiers to all bands. Way to go Fred! Now Bruce does not even bother to aim!
This is a picture of our 3456 MHz tower mounted enclosure. This box normally resides at 137 ft above ground on the top of a 3" mast. In 2008, we modified the unit and removed the transverter from the box. In its place, we put a second receive preamp to provide added gain to overcome the 3456 MHz loss in the long 3/8" Heliax hardline cable that runs to the transverter now located in the shack. We estimated about 13 or 14 dB of feeder loss, and fashioned a preamp to offset that loss.
Back to HOME